Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day to to the great dad's out there! Today is very unique holiday for me. Allow me to explain...

My father is a good nan. Quiet and reserved. Smart and out going. Has the love for adventure. He is good with his hands could fix most anything. I remember working on Heath Kit projects and "helping" him build a telescope. The cross country vacation trips, canoe trips and bike rides are forever in my memory.

My father also held high morals and was the disciplinarian. What he said was the law of the house. As a wild and rebellious teenager, we butted heads quite often. Of course then, I didn't have a clue. He was teaching me things that I didn't want to listen to. As I look back at it, yeah, he was right. I should have listened....

I am a dad now. When my son was born, I made a vow to do whatever it takes to be a good father. Even after my divorce. I've could have easily walked away from the responsibilities of parenthood, but I didn't. I can't.... I love my son too much for that. I see him almost everyday. I spend a lot of time with him-doing things with him and teaching him to become a man.

The one thing that angers me are dead beat dads. The ones who don't support their children financially or even be there for them. This just blows my mind! Being a dad can be a huge responsibility, but the joys of parenthood are priceless. Not to mention the children benefits from having a dad around. As I say, any guy with a dick can be a father, but it takes a man to be dad.....

No comments: