Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Working Overtime....


It's 2 AM and the radio is blasting Steve Miller's "Jungle Love". A hand reaches out from underneath the bed covers and turns the alarm clock off. Somehow, I regain enough consciousness to stumble to my computer chair for a cigarette. Rubbing my eyes, fighting off sleep I head for the shower to wake up enough to sleep walk though my day.

By 4 AM, I'm setting up my press to run some gazillion thousands of pieces. For the next ten hours, it's all the same-bend over, lift and feed. I've been doing this for about three weeks now. I'm tired. I ache. Half of the time, I'm running on caffeine induced adrenaline.

By the time I get home, I'm looking for vertical relief. That is-on the couch with a remote-if I'm lucky. I pray for no phone calls from an ex-wife seeking me a get my son to get a haircut or whatever. I thank God for every moment my girlfriend cooking my up a meal and taking care of things while I'm gone at work. Her contribution is outstanding and beyond the call of duty.

I know things are busy at work and the money is nice. Money doesn't help the soul. I could use some relief and enjoy some of the finer things in life...

Guess what? More of the same tomorrow....

No comments: