Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Elbow Numbness

For the last couple of months, I've been experiencing numbness in my left elbow and my hand falling asleep. Generally, it doesn't really bother me that much, but the last few days it has seem to be getting worse. Right now, I can't feel a thing in my elbow.

Until lately, I've been chalking it up as years and years of feeding stock into presses and the fact that I'm getting old. The more it has been bothering me the more I've been looking up stuff on the internet.

Here's something interesting that I found....

Ulnar nerve entrapment

The ulnar nerve is the "funny bone" nerve which travels between the tip of the elbow and the inner elbow bone. At this site it can be "pinched" by normal structures or swollen structures after injury. This pinching is referred to as entrapment. When ulnar nerve entrapment occurs, numbness and tingling of the little and ring finger of the hand may be felt. Pain may occur in the entire forearm, usually the inner side. Hand dexterity can be affected. Sometimes, the numbness is reproduced by elevating the hand. Treatment consists of avoiding repeated trauma or pressure to the elbow area and resting the elbow joint. Occasionally, ice can help. In severe cases, surgical repositioning of the ulnar nerve can be required. This relocates the ulnar nerve to a position where it will not be continually compressed by the surrounding structures.

This ALMOST fits the description to a tee. It may be it, it may not. If it is, I may need surgery.

I know, I know...Why do I just go to a doctor? The truth is, I'm afraid to. I just don't want to hear a doctor tell me I need surgery. Honestly, I can't afford to take the time off. Rent and car payments need to get paid. I know... my girlfriend calls my stubborn about this. The truth is I need to go.

2 comments:

Tender Heart Bear said...

You do need to go to the doctor and get that checked out before you do real damage to your elbow.

drewzepmeister said...

Tender Heart..ok, ok...