Sunday, May 8, 2011

Saturday Night Videos

I tend to stay up late on Saturday nights, chilling out after a long weeks of work with a couple of beers and listen to some great music. Nothing is more soothing to the soul than some great music. Here's where I can kick up my feet and relax. Anyways, this sharing my thoughts and introducing the music that I listen to could become a regular thing....

My first pick of the night is "The End" by the Doors from there debut album released in 1967. Jim Morrison's amazing poetry and baritone vocals always have given me the chills. His lyrics can become deep and meaningless, yet the provoke the mind. The tune starts off slow then it cascades to an apocalyptic Oedipal ending with shocking lyrics. I was stunned the first time I heard this tune...



If that didn't shock you. the next tune will..

Some of you maybe ready to break out your lava lamps and black velvet posters. The Rolling Stones went through their psychedelic/golden years in the late '60's and early '70's with albums like Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. There wasn't much that could be wasted here, even the deep cuts were something to behold... "Jigsaw Puzzle" off of their Beggars Banquet album (released in 1968) set a tone further beyond the Beatles' bad boy imagine-with a huge amount of talent! No disrespect towards the Beatles-I love 'em! The Stones pushed the envelope of censorship, shocking shocking people with their creativity... Yes, "Sympathy for the Devil" is on the same album.



I've been working on my DrewTube blog lately. It's a documentation of my album collection. Just started a couple of months ago. It's project in the works and will take years to finish...So far, I've gotten to Allmam Brothers Band. Yep, I've got that many albums and bootlegs. Here is the latest entry....Live from Austin City Limits...Unfortunately, I can't embedded from that show, but I'll leave you with "Ramblin' Man" from the House of Blues in 1995.



ENJOY!

4 comments:

Tender Heart Bear said...

I really like these songs. You picked a great set of video's. I can't wait to see what you pick next time.

Brett said...

You already know my take on The End. I am sorry to say that I am not much of a Stones fan other than a few of their songs. The Allman Brothers though I can get into. Great band. I saw Greg Allman open for Stevie Ray Vaughn at State Fair Many years ago. I will be curious to see your collection as you post it. Thanks.

Bar L. said...

great choice of songs. I've been listening to a lot of Doors lately.

john said...

Whoa! I used to hear "Jigsaw" quite often on my local "underground" radio stations back in the 70s (those stations were my lifeline). I just knew it as "that cool Stones tune that they don't play often enough". I often wondered if it was Mick or Keith on lead vocals, and now that I can give it a close listen I'm thinking Mick. "The End" was another underground staple. Thanks for this cool trip down memory lane.