Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Help Support the Fibromyalgia Cause


Fibromyalgia is a condition that wreaks hovak on the mind and the body. Its a condition where pain is a constant thing. A feeling of arthritis that doesn't go away. It's a terrible feeling to have.

Fibromyalgia often goes undiagnosed. A lot of that has to do with the lack of knowledge of it. There are no tests. Just some questions from a doctor.

A very close and personal friend was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about six years ago. She has been living in pain for about ten years. That's a long time for being in pain. I can see it in her eyes when she's feeling the pain. And it hurts me too.

After seeing her in so much pain, I decided to do some research on this. I've read some various websites on this subject. Most importantly several things she told me:

Be understanding, this is an invisible condition so a person may look "fine" but be in a lot of pain or totally fatigued. The person with fibromyalgia often has a forgetful memory, so try to be understanding of this too.

Offer to do anything that may lighten their load, carry something, run an errand etc.

Be patient and supportive. Often the person with fibromyalgia also feels guilty or bad for no longer being the fun and energetic person they once were.

Remember that there are good days and bad days. Take advantage of good days but keep in mind that sometimes people with Fibro do too much on a good day and pay the price later.

Knowing all this, I can be more supportative to those I love... So if you know anyone with fibromylaglia, please be supportative...

6 comments:

Bar L. said...

You are one of the kindest most considerate people I know. Thanks for writing this.

drewzepmeister said...

It was a pleasure, Barbara :)

HLiza said...

I didn't know this..it sounds painful even as I read it. Send my hugs to your friend and thanks for this post.

Sherry said...

Hi Drew,

This is a very thoughtful post. Fibromyalgia is difficult to explain to others, so thanks for taking the time to learn more about it.

drewzepmeister said...

Liza-Thanks, my friend could really use that hug!

Sherry-Thanks for stopping by! I did this out of love:)2

drewzepmeister said...

Liza-Thanks, my friend could really use that hug!

Sherry-Thanks for stopping by! I did this out of love:)