Sunday, January 17, 2010

Leftoverture

One of my first albums that I ever got into my collection was Kansas "Leftoverture". I think my folks got it for when I was 11 or 12 years old. Yeah, back in the day. Ever since I first heard this record, I fell in love with it. Today, it still remains one of my favorites.

This breakthrough album, released in 1976, displays an impressive set of progressive rock with catchy hooks. Fueled by a multiple amounts of instrumental passages, this album won't let you down. The lyrics are uplifting and spiritual, leaving me with a smile on face.

The album starts off with the ever popular "Carry On Wayward Son" That tune I always find myself singing along to. The next song, "The Wall", is a personal favorite of mine. A song that is extremely close to my heart. "What's On my Mind" is a rocker! "Miracles Out of Nowhere" is a killer multi-tempo progressive piece. Questions of my Childhood is an excellent bouncy and rollicking piece. Cheyenne Anthem is a beautiful song about the Native Americans. You'll get carried away by instrumentation on the epic Magmun Opus.

Other words this whole album is good, worthy of any album collection.

4 comments:

Perplexio said...

I've only got 4 Kansas albums in my collection-- Leftoverture was the first Kansas album for me as well though. Kerry Livgren is really an underrated guitarist. I also really dig Point of Know Return. The other 2 I have are Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures (both of which feature John Elefante on lead vocals instead of Steve Walsh). I really liked Elefante's vocals but overall the material on those 2 albums is considerably weaker than their 70s output.

drewzepmeister said...

I have the complete collection of Kansas. All the stuff the original lineup did is quite good.(Especially their live album "Two for the Show") After that,Kansas fell into a downward spiral. The Steve Morse era stunk. They have improved recently, but still haven't measured up to their early days.

TAD said...

Drew: U're right, LEFTOVERTURE's a classic. I still play it now & then. My faves R "Miracles Out of Nowhere" & "Questions of My Childhood," but it's almost all great, & "Cheyenne Anthem" is 1 of the greatest, most "cinematic" rock songs 2 never have had a video made 2 go w/ it (as far as I know). Practically a perfect album, really....
Summa their earlier stuff is pretty great 2 -- "Song for America" of course, "Journey from MariaBronn," "The Pinnacle," parts of "Incomudro" & "Lamplight Symphony"... why couldn't these guys keep it going longer? They sure hadda lotta talent....
Keep it up! -- TAD.

drewzepmeister said...

Tad, I think their early stuff is great!