Friday, January 15, 2010

Pink Floyd Colmar,France 6/22/1974

This is one of my most unusual bootlegs in my collection. Why? Well, the recording contains some very early versions of unreleased Pink Floyd songs with unexpected twists to them. These songs are the bare bones of what they would become. Tunes like "Raving & Drooling" would become "Sheep" ,while "Gotta be Crazy'" is an early form of "Dogs"-both of them would not be released until their complete final form until three years later on Animals. And yes, with different lyrics!

"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" was also performed for the the first time on this short lived tour through France and the UK. (And that wouldn't be released until 1975 on their Wish You Were Here album!) Only Echoes was the only familiar tune played at this show. Does anybody remember that tune from Meddle? I could just imagine the audience scratching their heads and saying WTF?

I believe that I only have a partial of this concert. It is rumored that Pink Floyd also performed the entire Dark Side of the Moon during this this show. If that's true, I don't have the whole show. At least, what I've got is the most important.

Even though it's muddied at spots and hard to decipher at points, this tape will please the die-hards! A casual listener might be turned off after hearing this!





The set list that appears on my tape:

Echoes
Raving & Drooling
Shine On you Crazy Diamond
Gotta be Crazy

2 comments:

classicrockforthesoul said...

Wow, that's awesome!

I've always though "Echoes" was a genius song.
The performance of that from Pompeii is brilliant.

Some of the greatest lyrics ever:
"Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me"

drewzepmeister said...

Those are great lyrics, Classic Girl!